Stay in laidback luxury as The House on Lizard Island opens.
The House, a world-class reef house situated on the doorstep of the Great Barrier Reef will open its doors on 4 July for guests seeking unparalleled levels of privacy and personalised service alongside barefoot adventure and a genuine connection to nature. Newly built on a pristine peninsula of the exclusive Lizard Island, The House — and its adjoining residence The Cottage — make up the Estate, a rare and compelling offering which embody all things authentically Australian and the opportunity to enjoy laidback luxury at its finest.
Located 240 kilometres (150 miles) north of Cairns and 27 kilometres (17 miles) off the coast of northern Queensland, Lizard Island is a lush unspoiled paradise, covered with over 1000 hectares of National Parkland and surrounded by a protected Marine Park. The Estate itself is built on a private corner of the island, enveloped by three of the Island’s white-sand beaches, which guests can access for snorkelling, diving, fishing and other sustainable explorations.
Up to eight guests can stay on The Estate, having their pick of both the main multi-level 3-bedroom residence The House, as well as The Cottage, a nearby separate single level sanctuary. There are many activities available at The House due to a team of experts on hand, such as a naturalist to lead hikes, a private chef and sommelier, a facialist, and a masseuse and yoga instructor. The House itself comes with 56’ Riviera Motor Yacht available for tailor-made experiences like big-game fishing trips or a day exploring the reef.
Over the past three decades, Brisbane-based businessman and philanthropist Steve Wilson has delivered the vision of his late father John Wilson — an entrepreneur who built the first resort on Lizard Island in the 1970s — working to build a property that adequately paid its respects to the sacred land and its Aboriginal and European histories while also ensuring minimal disturbances were made to the environment during the construction phase. The House stands as a monument to John Wilson’s dream that many others too could appreciate the singularity of Lizard Island and relish in their proximity to nature.
“Luxury to me is more about authenticity and experience rather than ostentation,” states owner Steve Wilson. “The luxury is witnessed in the position of the house, the thought behind the details and of course, the views, but that’s not to say we’ve denied it any luxuries in design and interiors. Every single piece chosen for The House has a sense of place. Much of the furniture was hand built by a local craftsman, while other renowned international pieces stand as functioning works of art. An iconic table by B&B Italia sits alongside a piece of art by an indigenous artist from far north Queensland. I wanted guests to be captivated but also not feel uncomfortable walking inside with sand on their feet.”
Prominent Queensland architect Dr James Davidson of JDA Co. was brought on to design the buildings and masterplan for the site. For the interior details, Sophie Hart was commissioned as the design consultant to celebrate Australian artisanal talent. The House and The Cottage are managed as part of the award-winning Lizard Island Resort as their pinnacle and most exclusive offering. Resort General Manager, Leon Pink, says “Our goal is to give the guests of The House a lifetime ‘bucket-list’ experience in this magical part of the world.”
- Return scenic charter flights to Lizard Island from Cairns
- Transfers from Lizard Island Airport to The House (either by Lexus or boat depending on guest preference)
- Chauffeured transfers between The House and the resort
- Private Host for the duration of stay to curate your itinerary and attend to your every request
- Private access to 3 pristine beaches on the Estate with another 21 beaches to explore on-island
- Premium food and beverages including a private chef and sommelier on hand for all meals
- A sunset cruise followed by dinner on the beach
- Priority access at preferred rates to charter “Pisces” – a luxury 56’ motor yacht for reef snorkelling, swimming, diving and fishing
- Unlimited use of “Mojo” – a twin outboard boat to experience the surrounding islands and private beach drop-offs
- Tour of the National Park with a naturalist to experience the flora, fauna and sacred sites
- Tour of the Australian Museum’s on-island Research Station
- Full use of resort facilities including pools, tennis court, gymnasium, restaurant and bars
- 1 hour per couple of day-spa services over a 3-night stay; either in-house or at the resort’s wellness centre
From AUD $16,000 per night, 3-night minimum for 2 pax
From AUD $28,000 per night for the entire House and Cottage, up to 8 pax
For more information and bookings, visit www.thehouseatlizard.com